Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Frito Chili Pie

This is an old recipe with a new twist! The new twist? The most important part...the chili! In the past, I had just bought a packet of chili seasoning, but I always thought it was kind of bland. Then, my husband got me this cookbook for Christmas...
If you've never heard of Ree Drummond, you need to check out her blog! She is very entertaining and has wonderful recipes!

Anyway, I tried her chili recipe...adjusted it to my preference (as I do just about every recipe, you will find!) and have vowed never to go back to the packet!

Ingredients:

For Chili:


2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp ground oregano
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 lbs ground beef
One 8-oz can tomato sauce, plus one can of water
1 tsp salt

For Frito Pie:

Crumbled fritos

Freshly shredded cheese (See my Note About Cheese)

Sour cream

Louisiana Hot Sauce


Steps:
1. Brown ground beef and garlic in large skillet. Drain.

2. Pour in tomato sauce and water. Add spices and salt. Mix well, cover, and reduce heat to low.

3. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If it becomes too dry, add in 1/2 cup water at a time, as needed.

4. In a bowl, layer fritos, chili, sour cream, cheese and top with a few shakes of Louisiana Hot Sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment