Friday, March 12, 2010

Ham and Bean Soup

Okay, so it's called Ham and Bean Soup, but I don't use ham at all! I use Smoked Sausage instead! However, my friend, Sherri, that introduced me to this recipe, says that smoked ham in it is deelish!This is a must try! Last time I made it, my husband told me it was becoming one of his very favorites! It is so good and it is great for leftovers the next day! If you are feeding a larger family, you might want to double the recipe.


Ingredients:

5 oz (1/2 pkg) 15 bean soup mix
water
1 pkg smoked sausage, sliced
1/4 c choped onion (see my note on how to cut an onion without crying)
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce


Steps:

1. Rinse dry beans and place in a dutch oven or stock pot with 1 1/2 qts of water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 3-5 minutes.

2. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.

3. Return beans to pan. Add 5 cups water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.

4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 - 3 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.

5. Serve with Jiffy Cornbread muffins!

Other add-in ideas:

*green pepper, celery, carrots,

*canned tomatoes, canned green chilis





1 comment:

  1. Ohn my!! We are related!! I fixed this for the first time this week!! GOOD!!

    I also used sliced smoked sausage!! HA!!

    Love the Frankoma Pottery..I have the same??

    ReplyDelete