Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chicken Fajitas

Ingredients:

1 - 1 1/2 lbs chicken
1 small bottle Zesty Italian Dressing
vegetable oil or butter
1 small onion
1 small green bell pepper
fajita or taco sized flour tortillas
sour cream
guacamole (click on link for my recipe)
cheddar cheese (see my Note about Cheese)
salsa


Steps:

Cut fat from chicken and slice chicken into strips. Put in a container and cover with Zesty Italian Dressing. Cover and let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour.

I use a grill pan to cook these inside, but you could also use a wok or skillet. In the grill pan, pour a little bit of veggie oil and use a paper towel to make sure the surface is covered in oil. When using butter, I use a couple of tablespoons and melt it in the grill pan...once melted, I swirl it around until the surface is covered.


Slice up bell pepper and add it to the pan. [When slicing bell peppers, I slice from top to bottom. Leaving the core of the pepper intact will help preserve it if you are not using it all at once.]


Slice up onion and add it to the pan. Let the veggies cook for a few minutes until they start to soften. Scoot pepper and onion to the edge and lay chicken in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes and then flip to other side. Remove chicken as it cooks. When all chicken has been cooked, add it back to the pan and mix in with peppers and onions.

Heat tortillas according to package. I layer mine with sour cream, guacamole, chicken mixture, cheese and salsa (in that order!):



1 comment:

  1. Yummm. I used to love fajitas when I worked at El Torito restaurant. I am going to try your recipe to make them when my boyfriend comes over. I just moved out in November so I am still learning how to cook! It sounds pretty simple :)

    ReplyDelete