Picking the perfect avocado is a hard job! They are expensive and it is frustrating to get one home, only to cut it open and it be all black on the inside. Here are some recommendations:
1. Plan ahead! If possible, get an hard, unripened avocado and let it ripen at home! Put it in a paper bag and leave it at room temperature. To quicken the ripening process, add an apple to the bag.
2. A ripe avocado yields to gentle pressure, but is still firm.
3. If it ripens before you are ready to use it, put it in the refrigerator to slow the ripening process.
4. Every time someone presses on an avocado, it bruises the inside of the avocado. If you buy an already ripe avocado and get it home only to find lots of black spots on it, you know it has been handled by many hands...hence the reason for buying a hard, unripened one, if possible!
5. Feel free to ask the produce person if there are any unripened avocados in the back...chances are, there is! They just don't bring them out, because they are trying to get rid of the ripened avocado's first!
6. If you have no choice but to buy a ripe avocado, pick at the stem...if it is loose or comes off easily, it is ripe.